Wednesday, June 24, 2009

The Gibson Girl Chignon


The Gibson Girl was an archetype of a woman created in the late nineteenth century by illustrator Charles Dana Gibson. She was a more restrained 'new woman' with all the vigor and spirit of a rebel but the modesty and sensibility of a woman. More importantly, the Gibson Girl had a specific hairdo, seen above, called a chignon, pompadour or bouffant which created a kind of waterfall of curls effect. It is difficult to achieve without a hair rat, but I always felt weird at the idea of having something like that on my head. But, still it is the effect I strive for.




My dear friend Lucy has one of the most beautiful chignons I have ever seen. She literally ties a knot with her hair on the top of her head and it creates the perfect bun with such ease and elegance. (Picture by Matt Lutton).

No comments:

Post a Comment